Instead of a usual article this month, I want to share some of the questions I’m thinking about as we approach the next few months.
- As more of our members receive their second dose of the vaccine, will they be ready to come back to church?
- How long will it take for a majority of our congregation to be vaccinated?
- Currently, we are worshipping at close to our “physically distanced” capacity in the sanctuary.
- As more people want to return to worship, will worshippers be ok with sitting in the parish hall if the sanctuary is full?
- When will the physical distance and mask wearing guidelines change?
- What are some things that we can do to connect better with those who are worshipping online only?
- How can we make the background behind the lectern and the pulpit more interesting or less distracting for online viewers?
- How many people have decided that worshipping in their pajamas in a comfy chair is easier than coming to worship in the building?
- As we increase activity in the church building, will we be able to support staffing at a higher level?
- What has the past year changed that we will never get back?
- What are things that we have learned this past year that we plan to carry with us into the future?
- Will we need to worship in the park again this summer?
- Who are the people that we have lost contact with during this time?
- Who are the people that have found us online and are now connected to our “virtual” community?
- How do we identify the people in either of these groups?
- What criteria will need to be in place before we begin running our church bus again?
This is by no means an exhaustive list of all of the questions that we think about as pastors, as staff, as members of the CPC and as I’m sure some of you have been asking. My hope is that we will keep asking questions and sharing the ideas that we have. Together, we can continue to build up Bethesda and find new ways for connection to happen. This won’t be easy work but with the help of the Holy Spirit, I hope it is work that we can engage in together.
What questions have you been asking as you think about Bethesda in the months ahead? Feel free to send me your questions but also feel free to send me the ideas you might have to improve the things we are currently doing. It would also be helpful if you had an idea about who might be able to implement your idea so that we can share in this work.