Brothers and Sisters,
By now you are likely aware of the tragic school-shooting that took place this morning at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Twenty-six victims have been left dead, as well as the perpetrator himself. A twenty-eighth casualty has been found in a secondary location.
Our hearts and prayers extend to the families of the victims, the family of the gunman, and the community that has been forever impacted by this tragedy. Please pray for those who will bring comfort and aid in the days and months to come.
In a time such as this, when peace and sense cannot be found, it is upon people of faith to take comfort in and proclaim the promises of Christ Jesus. “Let the little ones come to me, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.” Christ himself has gone to and through hell, making death temporary and justice everlasting.
- “As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God.
- My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God?
- My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me continually, “Where is your God?”
- These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I went with the throng, and led them in procession to the house of God, with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival.
- Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help
- and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.
- Deep calls to deep at the thunder of your cataracts; all your waves and your billows have gone over me.
- By day the Lord commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.
- I say to God, my rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I walk about mournfully because the enemy oppresses me?”
- As with a deadly wound in my body, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me continually, “Where is your God?”
- Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God.”